Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Truth Hall Dorm Tour

I have successfully survived my first week in Korea! However, I did not bring my video camera, so you'll have to enjoy still pictures instead.

Here's the tour!

This is what the front entrance looks like from the far window. You can see the bunk beds off to either side and the area right inside the door for your shoes. The toilet is to the left and the sink and shower are to the right.



This is on the left side (from the above photo). Three closets, each numbered, a small fridge, and a small set of cabinets (also numbered) for more of your stuff.




Each closet has a small mirror, bar with a little shelf above, hanger rack, two little drawers, and a shelf.









 There are washing machines in Truth Hall, but only one dryer, as far as I know. So we dry our laundry on this nifty contraption! It expands and you simply hang your clothes out on it and let them air dry.



The sink isn't terribly big, so it's a bit crowded for three girls and all their stuff. Luckily the desks have a ton of space to store things. There is a towel rack off to the side, there, but we still haven't got a towel to hang up. That door to the left leads to the shower. The door you can see in the mirror, leads to the toilet.



The shower seems really small! There is a mirror and a small rack for some shampoo and whatnot. That rack up above the shower head is where you store your towels and clean clothes while you take your shower. My taller friends say it's quite a bit of a challenge to shower here, as they are much taller than the shower head and there isn't a lot of movement space for shaving your legs (sorry boys! But I did say this blog was from my personal perspective!)


The room for the toilet feels very small. There is a little sign for you to read while you do your stuff, saying not to throw trash or anything but toilet paper into the toilet. It even has cutesy little pictures.





The light switches for the shower and rest of the room. The bottom right switch is for the shower. Now you know which one to hit in the morning without waking up your roommates!



This is the little fridge. The cafeteria isn't always open (I'm looking at you, weekends) so it's helpful to keep some 김밥 (gimbap) and other snacks or drinks in here. Your roommates can help recommend some of the tasty foods.





You will climb that ladder (awkwardly, at first) to get to your bed each night (or morning, depending on how hard you party). Being only 5'4", I don't have trouble hitting my head on the ceiling, but I can see how that could be a problem if you're much taller than that. The desk is bellow your bed and it has so many little cubbies for your school and other stuff. 









Your bunk, just like the closet and cabinet, is also numbered. Being the only foreigner in the room, you are likely to be assigned the number 3. Your key card to get into your dorm will have your room number, followed by your bed number.



The set up underneath the desk. There is a surge protector provided...for Korean style plugs. There is also an ethernet jack. The wifi in the room is a little spotty and doesn't always work easily. Surprisingly the interent connection here isn't as fast as I expected it to be. But it still works!



Oh boy was I relieved to find that my adapter/converter thing would fit in here. I was super reluctant to plug it in because I kept hearing horror stories from the other students that they were frying their electronics. It took quite a bit of force, but I did manage to get my American surge protector plugged into the adapter and it works just fine. 




Taken from the front door area. My bunk is the one on the right, my roommate's are on the left.




The view from my window. Everything is so green here! But in trade off, it is ridiculously humid; Coloradans beware.



I'm pretty sure this is the guy's side of the dormitory. You can kind of see off to the right there, the walkway between the dorms. But guys cannot come into the girls dorm and vice versa. I actually went most of yesterday without speaking to a single male. It was a strange experience for sure.




So that's it! I hope you enjoyed the dorm tour. It's been really rainy outside this last week and we're finally starting to get some sunny weather. Unfortunately, that means that it's really hot and really really humid. The air conditioning seems to not always work; it's a central system, so some mysterious entity controls how hot or cold I get inside.  





No comments:

Post a Comment