Saturday, August 25, 2012

What to Pack for Your Study Abroad in Korea


Patrick Star introduces today's topic

One week ago yesterday, I lugged my not-quite-50-pound suitcase, duffle bag, and backpack to the airport and onto the plane. The next day, I was in Korea. Today, I'm going to go over what I packed and what I have found useful so far. I'll make another post for what I packed that was useful and what was not once I return to Colorado.




To start, here are two lists, one I made myself and the other from UNC.
  • electronics
    • adaptor/power converter
    • power strip
    • ipad
    • laptop
    • ipod
    • camera
  • entertainment
    • knitting
    • phrase book
  • Bathroom
    • makeup 
    • deodorant
    • face cleaning wipes
    • face creams
    • toothbrush
    • toothpaste
    • hair ties
    • bobby pins
    • twisty bobby pins
    • hair styling products
    • razor
    • hair towel
    • feminine products
    • moleskin
    • blister bandaids
    • regular bandaids
    • wisp toothbrush 
  • gifts:
    • scarves
    • UNC stuff
  • clothes
    • tennis shoes
    • walking shoes
    • flip flops
    • jeans
    • shorts
    • shirts
    • dresses
    • skirt
    • socks
    • underclothes
    • workout clothes
    • pjs
    • tights
    • leggings
    • sunglasses
    • towels
    • North Face fleece jacket
    • halloween costume
    • headbands
  • Rx
    • prescription medications
    • otc cold medicine
    • advil/aleve
  • Random
    • water filters
    • lip balm
    • sunscreen

Generic Packing List
*Remember you will be doing laundry
  • Shirts (about 10)
  • Pants (5-6)
  • Dress Pants/Skirt
  • Dress shirt/ sweater
  • Socks/Underwear
  • Rain Coat
  • Winter coat
  • Long underwear
  • Gloves
  • Hat
  • Walking shoes
  • Dress shoes
  • Flip flops
  • Belt
  • Backpack
  • Watch
  • Travel pillow
  • Safety pins
  • Sewing kit
  • Tape
  • Travel toiletries
    • shampoo and conditioner
    • deodorant
    • toothbrush
    • toothpaste
    • face wash
    • floss
  • Nail clippers
  • Wash cloth
  • Basic first aid kit
  • Feminine products
  • Condoms
  • Hair dryer
  • Prescription drugs
  • Sunglasses
  • Perscription glasses
  • Sunscreen
  • Enough contacts and solution for the time you will be gone
  • Pens
  • Dictionary
  • Book or magazines
  • Passport
  • Copies of important documents
  • Local currency
  • ATM & credit card
  • Security pouch
  • Camera
  • Computer and cords
  • iPod, cord, headphones
  • Gifts
  • Pictures from home
  • Power converter

Sorry for such a long list, but if you're going to be in Korea for five months, you will need a lot of stuff. Now, I didn't bring everything on this list, but most of it I managed to fit in my suitcase (by rolling my clothes instead of folding them), duffel bag, and backpack. 

There are so many places online to look for this same sort of information. My favorite, for its entertainment and informational values, is this video by Eat Your Kimchi. From Busan with Love is another great resource that I used for packing my suitcase. The Daily Kimchi has another great list of packing ideas.

I hope this video and post were helpful to you! Please feel free to ask about anything and I'll do my best to answer. 

7 comments:

  1. How are you doing Jenn? Are you settling in okay? I was thinking about you today...I hope everything is going well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm doing really well here so far. So many people who came here know so little about Korean language and culture, they think I'm an encyclopedia of knowledge xD It's been great so far and classes start tomorrow. I hope you're doing well and say hi to people for me at school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's great! I will! Let me know how classes go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your writing style, great information, thank you for posting
    List of best education consultants for Canada in Lahore

    ReplyDelete
  5. Farnek is a leading provider of Skip Hire and Waste Management Services Across the Devon. Working from the Exeter base with depots across Devon. If you want to hire a cheap skip just visit Farnek.uk and get your skip at cheap rates.
    Skip Hire Devon

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you embark on your Korean study abroad journey, don't forget the essentials! Much like packing necessities, including a teething tube for babies ensures comfort during the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Want to Korean study abroad adventure? Enhance your experience with Apps Cre8ve – your partner in unique mobile app development company in New York and transformative web app applications. Our innovative solutions redefine learning, ensuring your journey is not just educational, but a personalized and memorable exploration into the world of possibilities."






    ReplyDelete